Grafton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1886
Architect: A.L. & G. McCredie
Traditional Owners: Bundjalung people
Last Updated: 31/07/2023
History and Architecture:
The Church dimensions are 64ft. 6in. in length x 36ft. in width. The foundations were concrete, 4ft. wide and 2ft. 9in. thick. The walls are of brick. 24ft. in height averageing 18in, cemented inside and out. having 2 rows of galvanised loop iron built in every 8th course, with 6 buttresses on each side projecting 18in. beyond the walls. At the front, which faces Oliver Street, is a tower 52ft. high and 14ft. 6in. square.
The tower has 9 lights, besides a wheel window and 6 louvre openings and upstairs. There was a Session room, and above this a bell tower. There was no provision for a bell however a Mr Fraser made a donation after the orignal bell was lost at sea on its way from Belfast.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1885 - 1898||Rev Andrew Barron|
|1899 - 1908||Rev Alex Fraser|
|1908 - 1912||Rev D. Brown|
|1913 - 1917||Rev H. D. Mackie|
|1918 - 1934||Rev W. D. McIlwraith|
|1934 - 1937||Rev W. Mullan|
|1938 - 1941||Rev J. W. Miller|
|1942 - 1945||Rev Dr John Craig|
|1945 - 1950||Rev J. H. Costello|
|1950 - 1953||Rev H. Robson|
|1953 - 1959||Rev D. McLeod|
|1960 - 1966||Rev R. M.S. Crawford|
|1966 - 1971||Rev A. McNaught|
|1971 - 1978||Rev J. Broadhead|
|1979 - 1980||Rev D. Garland|
|1981 -||Rev G. Morrow|
|2022 ? -||Rev James Annesley|
The Organ is the Compton 'Miniatura B' and was built c.1955 by John Compton Organ Co of London and installed on 13th September 1959 in memory of those fallen.
For a full description click here.
1. St Andrews Presbyterian Church Grafton New South Wales Centenary 1886 - 1986
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.