Grenfell, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican
Year Built: 1877
Architect: John Kirkpatrick
Last Updated: 27/02/2023
History and Architecture:
The first church was a wooden structure built in 1867 and located at the corner of Forbes and Middle Street. By 1877 tenders were called for a new church and the foundation stone was laid on 24 May. A further foundation stone replaced the original one on 26 January 1878 and laid by Mr J.B. Wood. The architect was John Kirkpatrick. The church was officially opened on 2 February 1879 by the Bishop of Bathurst the Right Reverend Dr Samuel Marsden.
The Church was re roofed in 1925 with slate. The contractor was Messrs James Hardie and Co.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1868 -||Rev John Vallancay||With Cowra||1835||1906|
|1869 -||Rev William Henry Pownall||1834||1903|
|1869 - 1873||Rev Joseph Dark||1835||1921|
|1873 - 1874||Rev Arthur Russell Blacket||1848||1935|
|1875 - 1881||Rev Frederick Sydney Wilson||1839||1901|
|1881 - 1883||Rev Richard James Read||1842||1904|
|1884 -||Rev Benjamin Stevens||1851||1912|
|1885 - 1889||Rev Arthur Rufus Raymond||1857||1932|
|1889 - 1891||Rev Walter James Ellis||1857||1923|
|1891 - 1894||Rev Henry Jobson||1916|
|1894 - 1901||Rev Alfred Poole||1849||1930|
|1900 - 1900||Rev Francis Witherby||Locum||1836||1901|
|1901 - 1904||Rev Reginald Smee||1870||1929|
|1904 - 1909||Rev Stanley Thomas Champion||1876||1923|
|1909 - 1913||Rev Alfred Manning Levick||1971|
|1909 - 1909||Rev Leslie Underwood Alley||Asst||1882||1968|
|1913 - 1917||Rev Edward Walker||1873||1966|
|1914 - 1916||Rev Reginald Gordon Nichols||Curate||1888||1960|
|1916 - 1916||Rev Carl Campbell Crowley||Curate||1883||1967|
|1917 - 1921||Rev William King Howell||1862||1933|
|1918 - 1919||Rev Herbert Henry Pritchard||Locum||1887||1927|
|1921 - 1924||Rev P. S. Moore||1888||1971|
|1924 - 1941||Rev Norman Gerald Cooke||1889||1959|
|1941 - 1953||Rev Arthur Samuel Rowe||1888||1953|
|1954 - 1969||Rev Clifford Edward Ussher||1908||1993|
|1976 - 1982||Rev Brian Hatherly|
|1982 -||Rev John Hastings Reeves||Locum||1915||1994|
|1983 - 1984||Rev D. S. Date|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Keith A Furnell
2. Brian Ward photo from O'Brien's Lookout 2013.
1. The Parish of Holy Trinity Grenfell 1877 - 1977
2. Cable Clergy Index