Grovedale, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran (20425)

Year Built: 1849

Denomination: Lutheran

Saint: Paul

Address: Torquay Road, Grovedale, Victoria, 3216

Last Updated: 08/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The beginnings of this church go back to 1849 when five families were brought out to Geelong by the local Geelong Mayor Dr Thomson. The first church was in Church Street. The first service was held on 24 June 1854. Grovedale was called Germantown at the time but this changed in 1915.

A Manse was built in 1855. In the following years there was a conflict between two factions in the church when Pastor Herman Herlitz was brought out from Germany to take up the Ministerial role. However a Peter Jacobson was already in this role. So it was a fact that those who where faithful to the Victorian Lutheran Synod left and set up a church in the school.

Renovations took place in 1990 with the floors and pews being the main focus of this work. In 1998 the slate roof was renovated.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1853 - 1855 Rev M. Goethe
1855 - 1862 Rev J G. Haussmann
1862 - 1868 Rev H HerLitz 1940
1868 - Rev G Heyer
1921 - 1924 Rev R L Rohde
1924 - 1929 Rev J T.P. Sabel
1929 - 1937 Rev H W.R. Proeve
1937 - 1938 Rev B. Fischer
1938 - 1946 Rev H Minke
1946 - Rev J. M Larsen
1960 - 1969 Rev S M Simpfendorfer
1969 - Rev T. R Jaensch LCA
1981 - 1991 Rev Rob Fechner LCA
1991 - 2002 Rev Wayne Boehm LCA
2002 - Rev Rolf Lungwitz LCA

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.