Grovedale, VIC - Uniting
Year Built: 1853
Traditional Owners: Wadawurrung people
Last Updated: 08/01/2021
History and Architecture:
During 1853, people began to worship on the site in Torquay Road, which had been granted to the Wesleyan Methodists. A small, simple wooden church was constructed in 1855. In June 1868, the congregation decided to build a new church. The new church was designed by RS. Tuffs and the foundation stone was laid on the 25th March 1869, by the Mayor of Geelong, T.N. Couves. The church took only 9 weeks to build, due to the local congregation assisting with its construction. The church was constructed of bluestone from Black Rock and Waurn Ponds limestone. The contractors were Messrs W. McLean and J. Robinson. The church opened on the 3rd of May 1869 at a cost of £320.
In 1917, the trustees altered the original headstone of the Church from Wesleyan Church to Methodist Church. Weatherboard additions were added to the rear of the church, but these were demolished to make way for a new brick hall. The hall was opened and dedicated on the 3'd August 1975 by the Rev. G.L. Turner, President of the Methodist Conference. In 1984, it was decided to rebuild the hall to include a new church, and this new complex was opened and dedicated on the 12'h February 1984 by the Christian Family. The original bluestone church still stands and is used for other church purposes.
Today a new church under the Uniting Church banner has been erected.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2010 -||Rev Iain Dixon|
In 1976 the Church Trust were advised that it was no longer economical to maintain the church organ which was then over 15 years old and a committee consisting of Mrs. I Hobbs, Mr. H. Williams and Mr. T. Schneider was appointed to investigate what action the Trust should take.
This committee looked at a number of organs and recommended a Conn instrument which was
demonstrated to the congregation at the Christmas Carol Service in December, 1976.