Gulgong, NSW - St Luke's Anglican
Year Built: 1876
Architect: Edmund Blacket
Traditional Owners: Wiradjuri people
Last Updated: 15/07/2022
History and Architecture:
A Romanesque, Gothic revival church designed by noted colonial architect Edmund Thomas Blacket. The bell tower is of wood with the bell surrounded by lattice work. It was built out of local stone at a cost of £650 in 1876. Built of rubble stone with brick facings, the dimensions being 80 feet long by a breadth of 37 feet, 13 feet walls, 29 feet gables, the chancel arch 13 feet, the walls and foundation 2 feet wide, and walls 18 inches.
An account of the laying of the foundation stone may be read in The Town and Country Journal of 14 November 1874:
LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THE NEW CHURCH OF ENGLAND. Today was quite a gala day in Gulgong. The Freemasons, Oddfellows, German Association, Protestant Alliance Friendly Society, and othere public bodies, mustered in great force, and having met his lordship the Bishop of Bathurst a short diilistanThe from the town, marched in procession through the main streets of Gulgong, and then on to the Church. The Bishop then held service in the school room, assisted by the Rev. Mr. Gunther, and the Rev. Newton. The total cost of the erection of the Church was estimated at £1500. In the evening a tea meeting was held at the school-house, the following ladies presiding was placed on.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1871 -||Rev Thomas Butcher|
|1873 - 1878||Rev William Shackfield Newton||1837||1912|
|1877 -||Rev Edmund Alexander Colvin||Reader||1856||1924|
|1878 - 1879||Rev William Harris Saunders||1852||1896|
|1879 - 1889||Rev Joseph Simmonds Dobson||1845||1905|
|1889 -||Rev Louis Alfred Wyatt||1857||1916|
|1891 - 1904||Rev Francis Ernest Haviland||1859||1945|
|1892 -||Rev Charles Edward Solly Mitchell||Curate||1889||1984|
|1894 - 1898||Rev Henry Dashwood Sealy Vidal||Locum||1854||1905|
|1904 - 1912||Rev George Thomas Geer||1844||1918|
|1912 - 1914||Rev Arthur Hazelhurst Gribble||1870||1952|
|1915 - 1917||Rev Harold Woodger||1872||1940|
|1917 -||Rev Leonard Arthur Marina||1882||1950|
|1917 - 1925||Rev Charles Joseph Allen||1864||1943|
|1925 - 1941||Rev Lionel Vingoe Caldwell||1883||1959|
|1941 - 1944||Rev Robert Douglas||1878||1966|
|1944 - 1950||Rev Howard William Ellis||1906||1994|
|1950 - 1955||Rev Stephen Carr||1911||1978|
|1956 - 1957||Rev George Haddon Reeks||1907||1973|
|1957 - 1964||Rev John Henry Durrant Woodhouse||1906||1966|
|1982 -||Rev Alexander James Richards||1907||1994|
A harmonium was installed soon after the Churches erection. It would appear that this instrument remained the church's organ for many years until 1929 and the purchase of a grander instrument of the same breed. In May 1898 an additional small harmonium was acquired, originally for the Sunday School, and paid for by the rector himself.
2. Cable Clerical Index with permission.
3. Aussie Towns.
4. St Luke's Gulgong a history Neil Slarke LH 283.994 GUL