Highton, VIC - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1866
Traditional Owners: Wadawurrung people
Last Updated: 09/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The first recorded services in Highton were held in 1858 in the Church of England Day school opposite the cemetery in Barrabool Road. The Foundation stone for St John's was laid on 22 November 1866 by The Very Venerable H.B. Mccartney and was opened 1 January 1867.
On 22 July 1926 a tornado struck the church, unroofed it and demolished the Sunday school. The Church was re built using most of the original materials and a spire was added.
In 2014/15 the Church had a significant upgrade ($2.3m), to expand their facilities to better serve the community.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1858 - 1861||Rev John Sullivan|
|1861 - 1863||Rev Thomas Woolcock Serjeant||1824||1907|
|1863 - 1866||Rev Charles Stewart Perry|
|1866 - 1868||Rev H. J. Edwards|
|1868 - 1877||Rev U. H. Hutchinson|
|1877 - 1878||Rev H. A. Fauns|
|1878 - 1880||Rev W. T. Powell|
|1880 - 1888||Rev George Sproule|
|1880 - 1905||Rev John Cameron|
|1906 - 1911||Rev W. J. Pay|
|1912 - 1916||Rev A. M. Capper|
|1916 - 1918||Rev James William Percy Oates||1879||1962|
|1918 - 1922||Rev F. Parsons|
|1922 - 1927||Rev William Pembroke Bainbridge|
|1927 - 1928||Rev H. W. Topp|
|1928 - 1930||Rev Ernest Louis Renard Panelli||1888||1953|
|1930 - 1946||Rev Harry George Matthews|
|1951 - 1955||Rev Sydney James Muxworthy||1898||1996|
|1956 - 1959||Rev H. R. Bailey|
|1960 - 1978||Rev J. L. Richards|
|1978 - 1982||Rev P. J. Harradence|
|1982 -||Rev L. W. Greenhall|
|2009 -||Rev Will Orfwood|
|2018 -||Rev Chris Lynch||Asst|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Churches of Geelong and District Vol 2 pre 1900. Outer Geelong District. Margret Frewin Lauren Phelan
2. Church website.