Hobart, TAS - Scot's Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1834

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 29 Bathurst Street, Hobart, Tasmania, 7000

Architect: J.E. Addison

Traditional Owners: Palawa people

Last Updated: 22/07/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The Church was built between 1834 and 1836 and the architect was J.E. Addison. The brick constructed hall was built in 1824 and was the original St Andrew's Presbyterian church and is the oldest Presbyterian church in Australia. It features a central tower-like parapet and four small spires. The church was lengthened by 6m in 1860 to accommodate an Organ.

In February 1935 communion services were held in St Andrew's with Rev H Jones officiating.

Formed by the union of St. Andrew's and Chalmers congregations in 1934, Scots was so named when the first minister of the united charge, the Rev. N. H. Joughin, was inducted in April 1936. For a time both churches were used for worship, but in 1950 Chalmers Church was closed, the property being sold and the church dismantled in 1956.

A Foundation stone reads. " This stone was laid by Sir Ernest Clarke K.C.B. C.B.E. to commemorate the union of St Andrew's and Chalmer's Churches and to mark the erection of the first building by the united congregation of Scott's Church. February 8th 1938".


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1936 - 1939 Rev N. H. Joughin
1940 - 1948 Rev J. A. Munro Ford
1948 - 1963 Rev H. L. Dunn
1963 - Rev G. A. Wood


The organ was built by Brinley in 1859, was extended in 1940, and rebuilt by Fincham & Sons in 1960. The pipes were reassembled behind a nylon curtain, the action electrified, and the console placed with the choir at congregational level.


1. Scotts Church Hobart 1823 - 1963 by W.C. Morris. LSC P 285.09946 MOR.