Horsham, VIC - Church of Christ (20231)

Year Built: 1887

Denomination: Church of Christ

Address: Corner Urquhart & Baillie Streets, Horsham, Victoria, 3400

Last Updated: 12/05/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The first service was held on 30 January 1887 by Mr D. W. Little in the Horsham Temperance Hall. Only 6 locals attended however by the evening service more than a dozen showed up. During the first three months thirteen baptisms had been carried out. Until 1915 only local men including Mr Butler, Spicer and Millar, carried out conducing services.*

A wooden church in Urquhart Street was the first church. This was used from 1897 to 1918. By 1917 the new church was under construction. Called the American bungalow style it was built by Mr C Timmins of Melbourne. The dedication service was led by Gilbert Chandler on 16 June 1918.*

When Mr Combridge arrived in 1915 he was the driving force behind the move to the current church. The cost of this Church was 1430.00. By 1955 major repairs and an extension were required. Crack walls were repaired and an extension to the building was commenced.*

Between 1965 and 1969 plans were made to moderise the exterior and interior of the church. The Church hall was bicked out.*

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
- Mr A W. Connor
- Mr Burgess
- Mr Hugh Gray
- Mr Goodwin
1915 - 1920 Mr Combridge
1920 - 1922 Mr H Bassard
1922 - 1924 Mr Ingham
1924 - 1927 Mr J Wilson
1927 - 1933 Mr R W. Payne
1933 - 1939 Mr James O. Methven
1939 - 1947 Mr Cecil Jackel
1947 - Mr George Mathieson
- Mr Tom Weir
1950 - 1958 Mr Harold Long
1958 - 1965 Mr Les Dewberry
1965 - 1970 Mr Bob Baxter
1970 - Mr David Marr
1980 - Mr Wally Gibney

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

Church of Christ Horsham Centenary Celebrations 1987. SLT 286.69458 C47C