Horsham, VIC - St Michael and St John's Catholic (20229)

Year Built: 1987

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: [Multiple]

Address: Corner Roberts & Urquhart Streets, Horsham, Victoria, 3400

Traditional Owners: Incl Wotjobaluk, Jaadwa, Jadawadjali & Wergaia people

Architect: Greg Burgess

Last Updated: 04/01/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The first Mass to be held in Horsham was in 1857 by visiting Priest Fr. Patrick Madden. The first church was opened by Bishop O'Connor on 12 November 1876, a wooden building facing west to McPherson Street.*

The first Catholic church seems to have been built in record time following its establishment as a parish when separated from Stawell in 1876. A wooden structure, it was situated in the middle of the block bordered by McLachlan Street (north) and Splatt Street (south) now Roberts Avenue. It was placed across the block running east to west, and for some reason was dedicated to two apparently unrelated saints.

The church of 1913 was designed by the architects Clegg, Miller & Riley of Ballarat. A simple design with gable nave without projecting transepts although the transition from nave to chancel is marked by twin gables and a central doorway in the plane of the nave walls. The windows are of lancet form but the western gable contains a trefoil window with three curved sides, a typical motif of the Decorated Gothic.*

On 14th December 1913, Bishop Higgins of Ballarat opened and dedicated the new red brick Church facing Roberts Avenue. Designed by the architects Clegg Miller & Riley of Ballarat. The old church became the school.*

On 10th May 1987 the new Church was blessed and dedicated by the Bishop of Ballarat, Bishop Mulkearns. The 1913 Red Brick Church was used by the primary school until it was demolished in 1997.*

The current Church was designed by architect Greg Burgess. Other notable projects by Geoff include Eltham Library, Melbourne Theological College, Brambuk Aboriginal Cultural Centre, Box Hill Community Arts Centre and the Uluru-Kata Tjuta Aboriginal Cultural Centre.* The Builders were Plazzer Bros Pty Ltd of Horsham. Bricks supplied by Krause Brickworks Stawell.

The church was dedicated and opened on 10 May 1987 by Bishop Mulkearns, Bishop of Ballarat.

Clergy:

These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1876 - 1878 Father John Doyle Sullivan
1878 - 1884 Father James O'Farrell 1927
1884 - 1889 Father John Barrett
1887 - 1889 Father J. Hogan 1909
1887 - Father D. R. Howell Asst 1944
1889 - 1901 Father Joseph O'Brien
1892 - Father P. Costello Asst 1931
1893 - Father E. Goidanich Asst 1948
1901 - 1908 Father Michael Lynch Asst 1908
1901 - 1917 Father Michael Meade 1917
1913 - 1916 Father Tom Wood Asst
1916 - 1917 Father E. R. Galligan Asst 1959
1917 - 1929 Dean D. R. Howell 1944
1918 - 1922 Father J. H. Harris Asst
1922 - 1925 Father P. J. Rohan Asst 1929
1924 - 1925 Father Thomas P. Hussey Asst 1968
1926 - 1929 Father P. J. Phelan Asst
1929 - 1930 Father P. O'Shannessy Asst
1929 - 1931 Father John Kerin 1961
1930 - Father J. J. Manning Asst 1940
1931 - Father John Connellan Asst 1945
1931 - 1933 Father P. Lynch Asst
1931 - 1949 Father Couglin
1933 - Father J. McInerney Asst 1992
1933 - 1946 Father Edward O'Bryan Asst 1972
1934 - 1938 Father James Conway Asst 1979
1936 - 1937 Father T. Scanlon Asst 1982
1938 - 1940 Father V. Sproules Asst 1991
1941 - 1948 Father M. Shanley Asst 1960
1946 - 1951 Father T. Linane Asst 1991
1949 - 1951 Father John Day Asst
1949 - 1956 Monsignor Daniel O'Connell 1977
1951 - 1954 Father John Kirby Asst 1980
1951 - 1954 Father M. Grady Asst 1990
1954 - 1955 Father P. O'Keefe Asst
1954 - 1957 Father Patrick Bohan Asst 1921 2008
1955 - 1956 Father B. McDermott Asst 1975
1956 - 1959 Father Michael Glennon
1957 - 1958 Father P. Culligan Asst 1992
1957 - 1960 Father L. Monk Asst 1977
1958 - 1959 Father R. Markey Asst 1926 2016
1959 - 1961 Father K. Murphy Asst
1959 - 1972 Father Patrick Lynch
1960 - 1962 Father P. King Asst
1961 - Father B. Coffey Asst
1961 - 1965 Father J. D. O'Hagen Asst
1962 - 1964 Father W. Dwyer Asst
1964 - Father W. Halloran Asst
1964 - 1968 Father S. Morey Asst
1965 - 1968 Father B. Smith Ast
1968 - 1972 Father L. Sheahan Asst
1968 - 1973 Father K. Arundell Asst
1972 - Father Tom Kiniry
1973 - Father R. Punch Asst
1973 - 1975 Father P. Brennan Asst
1975 - Father P. Mugavin Asst

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Horsham Catholic Parish Centenary 1876 - 1976. LTP 282.9458 H78 H
2. Church of St Michael and St John Horsham 10th May 1987. LTP 282.9458 C4748S
3. Deceased Clergy in Australia, 1788-2023.