Hughenden, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1908

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 18 Reslolution Street, Hughenden, Queensland, 4821

Previous Denomination: Presbyterian

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Yirandhali people

Last Updated: 08/07/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

St. Andrew's Presbyterian parish, in the early days an outpost on the north-west frontier of the State when Reverend J. B. Galloway travelled far and wide to establish congregations. Subsequently Reverend Andrew Hudson, from Scotland, became the first permanent minister of the parish and inducted on 18th August 1908. Later Reverend G. K. Kirke of Charters Towers, conducted a patrolling ministry among the settlers and the church of St. Andrew in Hughenden was subsequently built in 1908.

A church hall was added 21 years later. Notable service was given in the early days by Mrs. Elizabeth Brebner, the first Sunday School teacher, Mrs. Hare and Mr. James Smith of Renfrew Park, who was an active member of the first committee of management. In more recent years notable service was rendered by Mrs. E. Kennedy and Mr. James Polmeer.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1908 - Rev Andrew Hudson
- Rev G. K. Kirke Locum


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. Hughenden Library supplied the historical background.


1. Trove. Date of induction of Rev Hudson. The Evening Telegraph 26th Aug 1908.