Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1878
Architect: A. L. Ephinstone
Traditional Owners: Kamilaroi people
Last Updated: 31/08/2023
History and Architecture:
In the beginning, services were conducted in the home of Mr. Colin Ross until 1857. This continued for a mere three years until a move was made to build a church on a Crown grant of 1 acre 3 roods 32 perches, Suburban allotment 6, dated 24th August, 1859. This is the date of the Title Deed but the actual building commenced earlier. This position was bounded by the McIntyre River, Vivian Street, and Byron Street, behind what is now the Central Hotel.
A wooden church was erected in 1859 and by 1874 it was decided to erect a more substantial on higher ground above the flood level of 1872. In 1878 the current gothic-style brick church was opened for worship.
The current Church was designed by Mr. A. L. Ephinstone, architect of Sydney. His offer to supervise the building was accepted.. At first, no tenders came forward and modifications in the original plans had to be made in order to bring the cost within the limit set by the Congregation! It. was on 21st September, 1875, that the first tenders were opened. These proved to be £4573; £5700; £4867; £4949!. The congregation rejected these tenders as being too high! Again modifications in the plans had to be made! Again four tenders were received and on 27th February, 1876, a tender from Mr. Leeds was accepted.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1854 - 1869||Rev Archibald Cameron|
|1869 - 1873||Rev Thomas Acherson Gordon|
|1873 - 1898||Rev Dr Thomas Stirton|
|1896 - 1898||Rev Alexander Fraser|
|1899 - 1901||Rev James Stewart Scott|
|1901 - 1905||Rev Robert Moorhead Legate|
|1907 - 1916||Rev James Keith Miller|
|1916 - 1919||Rev Thomas Frithjof Johansen|
|1919 - 1923||Rev Alexander McEwen Stevenson||1886||1963|
|1924 - 1936||Rev Emlyn James|
|1937 - 1942||Rev Arthur Edmunds|
|1944 - 1949||Rev Malcolm Charles Mayes||1989|
|1949 - 1954||Rev Norman Monsen||1995|
In October 1927 a pipe organ at a cost of £1,200 was presented by Mrs Braith Turner, daughter of Mr P.C. Campbell, in memory of her father. It was built by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane. I has 2 manuals, 11 speaking stops, tubular-pneumatic action.. For a full despcrition vist the Organ Historical Trust of Australia here.
1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia.
2. Inverellpc.com God is Our Witness booket.
3. Ryerson Index.