Ipswich, QLD - St Mary's Catholic (50095)

Year Built: 1849

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Mary

Address: Corner Elizabeth Street & Roseberry Parade, Ipswich, Queensland, 4305

Last Updated: 02/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The Church was first established in 1849. Father William McGinty, from Northern Ireland, took charge of Ipswich Parish in 1852 and had the first Saint Mary's Church built. This building was described as "a rude slab building of small dimensions, without glass windows, only shutters." In 1862 this church was later demolished and replaced by a Gothic stone which cost £7,000.

The foundation stone of the current church was laid in 1900 by His Grace, Archbishop Dunne, assisted by Father Horan. Stone from the old church was to be used in the new church. On the 2nd of October, 1904, the church was officially blessed and opened by His Eminence Cardinal Moran, Archbishop of Sydney.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1848 - 1850 Father Luckie
1850 - 1852 Father Dowing
1852 - 1862 Father William McGinty 1871
1863 - 1873 Father Henri Brun 1895
1983 - 1991 Father F Costello 1998
1992 - 2000 Father D O'Connor

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.