Ivanhoe, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican (Former)
Year Built: 1926
Address: 22 Merton Street, Ivanhoe, Victoria, 3079
Architect: Louis R Williams
Last Updated: 17/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The Architect was Louis R. Williams who designed this church in 1926 in an unusual and inventive Arts and Crafts style.Built by T.H. Rowe for its opening by Archdeacon Hindley in April 1927.1 St Stephen's was the second Anglican church built in the Ivanhoe Parish. A vestry was added in 1929.
Constructed of clinker brick, the church has a steeply pitched gabled terracotta tiled roof, which extends on one side to form a bracketed porch over the side entrance. A distinctive tapering brick tower projects at the corner of the building, and has a gabled bellcote with a bracketed hood, surmounted by a white painted rendered spire.
Three of the nine stained glass windows were designed by the notable artist, Napier Waller, but were removed.
The church was opened by Archdeacon Hindley in April 1927.' St Stephen's was the second Anglican church built in the Ivanhoe Parish. A vestry was added in 1929.
It is now a private home.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1912 - 1913||Rev Horace Crotty||Rural Pastor||1886||1952|
|1916 - 1917||Rev James Hardingham||Curate||1890||1962|
1. Victorian Heritage website for the photo
2. Banyule Heritage Places study