Kaniva, VIC - Church of Christ (20438)

Year Built: 1929

Denomination: Church of Christ

Address: 106 Commercial Street, Kaniva, Kaniva, Victoria, 3419

Last Updated: 12/05/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The history of the Church goes back to 1885. Meetings were held in the homes of Bren Russell, Rossell, Sen, and Charles Crouch near Miram. Bro Bren Russell removed to Kaniva, and on the 14th of March 1889 a meeting was held in the home of Bro. W.H. Rich to consider the desirability of forming a church in Kaniva.

Services were held in the Mechanic's Institute and in 1891 it was decided to build their own church and was completed in the same year.

The Foundation stone of the current Church was laid on 12 February 1929 by Mrs J.M. Goldsworthy.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1901 - 1904 Bro. J.M. Goldsworthy
1901 - 1911 Bro. D. Gale
1901 - 1915 Bro. Goodwin
1901 - 1901 Bro. W. Wilson
1906 - 1912 Bro. J. McCallum
1906 - 1927 Bro. J.J. Black
1906 - 1934 Bro. F. Saltmarsh
1906 - 1911 Bro. C. Williams
1907 - 1908 Bro. R. Rowe
1908 - 1923 Bro. C. Eastwood
1912 - 1930 Bro. E.G.H. Rowe
1912 - 1923 Bro. A.J. Williams
1912 - 1924 Bro. A. Whisson
1914 - 1932 Bro. N. Thompson
1916 - 1924 Bro. W.H. Whisson
1916 - 1927 Bro. I. Smith
1916 - 1930 Bro. C.M. Wheaton
1919 - 1935 Bro. S.J. Sherriff
1923 - 1937 Bro. W.A. Brown
1924 - 1933 Bro. L.J. Goldsworthy
1927 - Bro. A.F. Williams
1927 - Bro. E.G. Thompson
1929 - Bro. E. Coutts
1929 - Bro. F. Kennett
1930 - 1932 Bro. R.J. Goldsworthy
1933 - Bro. H. Williams
1935 - Bro. G. Champness
1937 - Bro. F. Crouch

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Extracts:

Kaniva and Lillimur Churches of Christ Jubilee Souvenir 1889 - 1939. LTP286.69458K13A