Kapunda, SA - Christ Church Anglican (30220)
Year Built: 1856
Last Updated: 10/10/2021
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone was laid 28 April 1856 by Dr Blood. The interior of the church is restful and dignified. Small sanctuary and large chancel flanked by organ and choir stools to form the transept. The nave piers go hard up against the wall on each side. The roof is a scissor beam which is exposed and very pleasant. Enlarged 1868, gaslight 1877, hall 1896 and electricity 1925.
E.W. Wright who was architect for this and for several other buildings in Kapunda.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1858 -||Rev F.P. Strickland|
|1901 - 1902||Rev Reginald Arthur Adams||Asst Curate|
|1902 - 1904||Rev John Denton Hart||1875||1946|
|1902 - 1908||Rev George Griffiths||1869||1945|
|1907 - 1908||Rev Charles Fishbourne Hall||Locum||1877||1954|
|1908 - 1909||Rev Henry Edward Inger||Curate||1882||1963|
|1911 -||Rev Edward Charles Loan||1881||1973|
|1916 - 1921||Rev Charles Fishbourne Hall||1877||1954|
|1932 - 1937||Rev Arthur Edwardes Kain||1887||1956|
|1971 - 1974||Rev John Edwards|
|1960 - 1963||Rev N.C. Kempson|
|1984 - 1990||Rev Christopher John Heath||1951|
|2011 -||Rev Barbara Messner|
The first organ was purchased from the estate of Wilhelm Mai (also spelt May) of Tanunda in 1873. The price was given as 120 although it was valued at 200. The Organ was rebuilt by J.J. Broad in 1880 and again by Fincham & Hobday in 1887.