Kapunda, SA - St John's (Trinity) Lutheran
Year Built: 1880
Traditional Owners: Peramangk people
Last Updated: 24/01/2023
History and Architecture:
Regular services commenced as early as 1880 at Bagot Well, mainly in the homes of various members including those of J.H. Schultz and Mr and Mrs Rudolf Hoffmann.
In 1900, Pastor J. J. Stolz came to Light Pass and the services at Bagot Well ceased. In 1905, members of Immanuel Synod settled near Kapunda, and desired a church of their own. Mr. & Mrs. Hoffmann (who formerly loaned their home for services at Bagot Well), donated £25 towards the venture. This support encouraged Pastor J. J. Stolz, who with movies supplied to him as a loan, purchased the church property of 'Primitive Methodist' Church in Whittaker St. (now a private home) and known as 'Little Glory', for £400.
On June 16 1907, they organised themselves as St. Paul's congregation and resolved to purchase the property from Pastor J. J. Stolz.
The formation of TRINITY Kapunda, was the result of members of 'Bethlehem' Allen's Creek, living in Kapunda, seeking a peaceful dismissal in order to have their own house of worship in Kapunda. This was an outcome from the Allen's Creek congregation building its own church. The dismissed members held their services in 'Little Glory' Church, formerly owned by the 'Primitive Methodists', until they built their own church.
They first chose the name of their church as ' St. Paul's', but later changed it to TRINITY as the 'United Evangelical' Lutheran congregation led by Pastor J. J. Stolz was already called 'ST. PAUL'S'. The name change occurred when the foundation stone was laid on the 18th December 1907.
The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1907 by Pastor J.E. Hansen. The Church was opened on Sunday March 8 1908.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1897 - 1906||Pastor A. P.T. Sabel||IS|
|1907 - 1910||Pastor J. J. Stolz||IS|
|1910 - 1928||Pastor T. Hebart||IS|
|1928 - 1952||Pastor E. Rhode||U|
|1952 - 1953||Pastor M. T. Renner||Locum||1928||2020|
|1953 - 1958||Pastor F. W. Stolz||U|
|1958 - 1964||Pastor J. N.L. Luhrs||U|
|1963 - 1964||Pastor Lienert||Locum|
|1964 - 1966||Pastor B. E. Bartholomaeus||U||1915||2009|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Lutheran Archives SA.