Kyneton, VIC - Congregational (Former)

Year Built: 1860

Denomination: Congregational

Address: 28 Hutton Street, Kyneton, Victoria, 3444

Architect: William Douglas

Traditional Owners: Taungurung people

Last Updated: 17/06/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The Church was constructed in bluestone as a Congregational Church in 1859-60 to the design of local architect William Douglas, and subsequently extended in 1871 to the design of Crouch & Wilson. The facade includes a central bellcote, crocketed pinnacles with Georgian style windows along the sides. The front includes an elaborate iron fence. (Miles Lewis, ed., Victorian Churches (East Melbourne, National Trust of Australia (Victoria) 1991, p.132).

A wall plaque reads, " The Independent Church met in a carpenter's shop before a wooden church was built in 1853, replaced in 1859-60 by this Gothic bluestone building with classical details. Great skill is shown in the carved stonework, belfry, rose window, elaborate roof trusses and iron palisade fence. The George Fincham organ installed in 1880 is a rare survivor in Victoria".


There are currently no clergy recorded for this church. Submissions are welcomed.


Built in 1879-80 by George Fincham. Restored in 1977 by George Fincham & Sons. It has 2m, 15spst, 3c, tr. Gt: 8.8 divided. Sw: Ped: 16.
For a full description and photos click here.


1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.