Kyneton, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting
Year Built: 1858
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Architect: James Thomson
Traditional Owners: Taungurung people
Last Updated: 23/08/2023
History and Architecture:
In 1856 the Presbyterians received their grant of land and their first church service was nem under the trees near Post Office Creek. The bluestone church in Ebden Street was erected in 1857-58. It is the smallest of the town's early churches and has been substantially altered, including the higher belfry in 1898, re-roofing in cement tiles and a rear modern entry and annex. The 1901-2 red brick hall and Sunday school, the century old bluestone manse and the mature trees make a very pleasant group. The stonemasons, Henry and James Smith and James Rodgers built both the church and the manse as well as other buildings in Kyneton.
The Church was built by William Brown and Alexander Rodger from the design by James Thomson. The Foundation stone was laid on 26 November 1857 by the Reverend Adam Cairns D.D.
The blue stone manse was built in 1860. In 1874 the Vestry was built and the porch added in 1932.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1851 - 1861||Rev E. McDonald||P|
|1861 - 1874||Rev Robert Henderson||P|
|1875 - 1890||Rev James Don||P|
|1890 - 1895||Rev W. H. Scott||P|
|1896 - 1921||Rev Lithgow Tait||P|
|1922 - 1925||Rev D. S. Jones||P|
|1925 - 1929||Rev A. Heathcote Fletcher||P|
|1929 - 1936||Rev R. W. Stephens||P|
|1936 - 1949||Rev Neil McDonald||P|
|1945 - 1955||Rev D. M. Harper||P|
|1956 -||Rev J. Kennedy Paton||P|
|2020 -||Rev Linda Young||U|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Historic Kyneton by D.G.M. Francis 994..53 FRAN
2. Presbyterian Chrge Kyneton St Andrews Kyneton Green Hill & Malmsbury Centenary Celebrations 1857-1957. LTP 285.29453 P92P.