Kyneton, VIC - St Paul's Anglican
Architect: William Douglas
Traditional Owners: Taungurung people
Last Updated: 19/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The first service was held in temporary digs in 1851 in Kyneton.
St. Paul's Church is one of Victoria's oldest substantial churches and one of the very earliest with a tower. This church is also unusually large for a country town's church, being seven bays long rather than the norm of five or three bays. Interestingly St. Paul's is very similar in design to the first St. Paul's Cathedral in Melbourne, which was demolished circa 1880. The organ from the Melbourne church was brought to St. Paul's in Kyneton in 1889.
The building itself is a local landmark, being situated on one of the highest parts of Kyneton.
St. Paul's was designed by local architect William Douglas and is well detailed, using the dark and hard local bluestone for almost all of the external walls, but relieved by sandstone or cement render dressings. The design is early English and both exterior and interior are simply detailed. The top of the tower was added in 1927-1928, though the spire is still to be constructed. Features of the exterior are the tower, finials, eaves blocks, buttresses and the stringcourses. Inside the arched altar recess, stained glass windows, simple trusses, gallery, Fleck memorial window above the altar, pews, the Andrea Stombuco carved Barton memorial (1866) and the organ with its stencilled pipes are all features.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1851 - 1854||Rev J Sullivan|
|1854 - 1858||Rev F Barton|
|1858 - 1862||Rev J Barlow|
|1862 - 1870||Rev G Vance|
|1870 - 1878||Rev W Chalmers|
|1878 - 1887||Rev Herring|
|1887 - 1893||Rev J Carlisle|
|1892 - 1897||Rev W. S Chapman|
|1897 - 1899||Rev Frank Lynch||1868||1929|
|1899 - 1901||Rev N. Herring|
|1901 - 1918||Rev George Nickells Bishop||1851||1939|
|1918 - 1922||Rev J Rowell|
|1922 - 1924||Rev H Needham|
|1924 - 1928||Canon D Haultian|
|1928 - 1937||Rev A. Bamford|
|1937 - 1945||Rev H Onions|
|1945 - 1968||Canon H Jones|
|1968 - 1977||Canon H Sturton|
|1977 - 1990||Rev Brian Arthur Harding||1930|
|1985 - 1988||Rev S. May|
|1985 - 1986||Rev S. J. May||Asst|
|1988 -||Rev W. J. Blomeley||Asst||1947|
|1990 - 1994||Canon A Austin|
|1992 - 1993||Rev W. Warne|
|1994 -||Rev Graham Wilfred Snell|
|2009 -||Rev Tony White|
Built by John Smith of Bristol in 1854 for St Paul's Church, Melbourne. Installed in present location in 1889 by George Fincham & Sons. Alterations by Keith M. Lavers in 1930. Rebuilt by George Fincham & Sons in 1971. It has 2 manuals, 25 speaking stops, 8 couplers, electro-pneumatic action.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Cable Clerical Index.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia.