Latrobe, TAS - St David's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1879
Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Architect: William William Gadsby
Traditional Owners: Punnilerpanner people
Last Updated: 04/12/2022
History and Architecture:
Churches in circuit covered by the Latrobe Minister were Latrobe, Sassafras, Harford, Melrose, Aberdeen & Greenbanks. First Mission was held in Latrobe Circuit in 1910 by Rev. V. Trigge. The Church is built of brick, with freestone facings and a slate roof, after a design by William Gadsby, and has seating for 200 people. The Foundation stone was laid in 1879.
The cost was £888, slightly more than Gadsby's estimate.
The first service was held in the completed chapel on January 2, 1881. The members of the building committee were Rev. James Thomas (Chairman), and Messrs Bauld, Locke, Cox, Herron, Graham, Ray, Whitaker (Secretary), Woods (Clerk of Works), and G. Rockliff. Rev. G. Schofield became Chairman in April 1881. In 1929, the vestry was added to the Church building.
The church has undergone several name changes. A Methodist Church at the turn of last century, then the Uniting Church after 1977 and recently an Independent Presbyterian Church. Further history can be seen here.
This list of clergy come from two separate sources and may include both Wesleyan and Methodist clergy.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1883 -||Rev William Hogg||WM||1846||1913|
|1887 -||Rev Edward Thomas Cox||WM||1852||1930|
|1888 -||Rev John A. Osborne||WM||1852||1912|
|1888 - 1891||Rev John Polkinghorne||WM||1862||1932|
|1891 - 1894||Rev T. G. White||WM|
|1894 - 1895||Rev T. Alday||WM|
|1895 - 1896||Rev J. Hadley||WM|
|1896 - 1899||Rev A. White||WM|
|1899 - 1901||Rev H. Worrell||WM|
|1901 - 1902||Rev John Cope||WM||1825||1909|
|1902 - 1905||Rev M. Bullas||WM|
|1905 - 1908||Rev F. Wellard||WM|
|1908 - 1911||Rev C. Angwin||WM|
|1911 - 1914||Rev F. Delbridge||WM|
|1914 - 1916||Rev A. E. Davey||WM|
|1916 - 1920||Rev N. G. Higgs||WM|
|1920 - 1923||Rev W. E. Jennings||WM|
|1923 - 1925||Rev H. H. Roget||WM|
|1925 - 1928||Rev Wesley Johns||WM||1864||1933|
|1928 - 1932||Rev H. Clarenette||WM|
|1932 - 1935||Rev H. W. Hughes||WM|
|1935 - 1938||Rev K McKenzie||WM|
|1938 - 1940||Rev J. W. Ackroyd||WM|
|1939 - 1942||Rev John Edward Atkins||WM||1907||1978|
|1940 - 1944||Rev Victor O. Batt||WM||1976|
|1944 - 1946||Rev G. W. Duthie||WM|
|1946 - 1951||Rev Norman H. Pask||WM|
|1951 - 1956||Rev Alan W. Lock||WM|
|1956 - 1959||Rev E M.R. Hunkin||WM|
|1959 - 1963||Rev F. G. Morris||WM|
|1964 -||Rev E. J. Glasson||WM|
|1965 - 1969||Rev Alistair J. Orton||WM|
|1970 - 1973||Rev J. H. Boatman||WM|
|1974 - 1978||Rev E. M. Oliver||WM|
|1979 - 1980||Pastor F. Anderson||U|
|1981 - 1983||Rev M. J. Chick||U|
|1987 -||Rev Ken Rookes||U|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index
2. Latrobe Museum.
3. Prints from the Past The Latrobe Community Story
4. Latrobe Uniting Church A Century of Service