Latrobe, TAS - St Luke's Anglican (7075)
Year Built: 1906
Traditional Owners: Punnilerpanner people
Last Updated: 23/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The first Anglican services in the Latrobe district were held at Ballahoo on the western bank of the Mersey River. In 1868 Latrobe School Church was opened at a cost of £145 and in 1871 it was still a school church.
A Church was consecrated in 1887 and in 1892 Church News stated that there were plans for a new Church. Plans for a new church began in that year and almost two decades were to pass before these were realised. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God laid by the Lord Bishop of Tasmania 29 November 1906".
The present Church was dedicated in December 1909. The design was described as "modern decorated Gothic on concrete foundations" and the building was constructed in brick with Marseilles tiles employed for the roof. The construction was carried out by Mr H. Biggins, and the building cost £1500.
For a full history visit Churches of Tasmania. Click here.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1913 - 1917||Rev Clarence Hamilton Corvan||1879||1950|
|1918 -||Rev John Crompton||1879||1954|
|1920 - 1921||Rev Donald Burns Blackwood||1884||1967|
|1924 - 1929||Rev Walter Jeremiah Dodson||1869||1940|
|1929 - 1935||Rev Kenneth John Hughes||1900||1965|
|1935 - 1939||Rev John Compton||1879||1954|
|1939 - 1942||Rev John Edward Atkins||1907||1978|
|1943 - 1946||Rev Sidney Charles Brammall||1905||1977|
|1962 -||Rev Walter Walters||1892||1983|
|1963 - 1971||Rev Alexander Geoffrey Adams||1906||1986|
|1972 - 1974||Rev Bill Percy|
|1975 -||Archdeacon G Costelloe||Locum|
|1976 - 1978||Rev William Holmes|
|1979 - 1983||Rev Graham Doyle|
|1983 - 1987||Rev Max Jones|
|1987 -||Rev John G Paul|
|2003 - 2007||Rev Chris Stafferton|
The pipe organ was giver to the new church in 1909 by a Mr. Munnew, being the fourth and last organ built by the Launceston builder Samuel Jocelyne about 1865.
The present organ at St Luke's Church is believed to be the work of the Launceston-based organbuilder Jesse Biggs who also built the organ now at St Paul's Anglican Church, East Devonport, almost certainly in 1864.
1. The Anglican Church in Tasmania, A Diocesan history to mark the Sesquicentenary 1992 by Geoffrey Stephens
2. Cable Clergy Index
3. A Monograph for the Bicentenary The Anglican Church of Latrobe 1906 - 1988. TAS REF 283.946 SMI.