Launceston, TAS - Church of the Apostles Catholic (8034)

Year Built: 1865

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Address: 44 Margaret Street, Launceston, Tasmania, 7250

Last Updated: 07/10/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The foundation stone for the St Joseph's church was laid on 19 March 1839 by Rev. Gentleman, and the church was inaugurated in October 1842. Two decades later, St. Joseph's Church began to show signs of decay, and it was decided to replace it with a larger church.

The plans for the new church were drawn by the Tasmanian architect Henry Hunter, and the foundation stone was laid on 15 September 1864 by Bishop Willson. By October 1866 the nave and two aisles had already been built, and on 7 November the church was solemnly opened for religious purposes by Rev. Murphy, Bishop of Hobart. The church was dedicated to Mary, Queen of the Apostles.

A Gothic-Revival church with rusticated dolerite with Freestone dressings. It has a slate roof with stone crosses on gable ends. The 1886 Sanctuary was designed by Alexander North.

 

Eastern facade has a heavily detailed rose window. The interior pillars of the nave arcades are monoliths of dolerite.

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. The Bells of the Church of Apostles were blessed by Most Rev Archbishop J.E. D'Arcy 15th January 1989. The Bell tower and spire were blessed and opened by Most Rev Archbishop the Most Rev J.E. D'Arcy on 25th February 1990".

The stained glass windows in the sanctuary of the church represent St. Patrick, patron of the Archdiocese. St. Peter, rock-foundation of the apostolic band founded by Christ, St. Joseph, the incomparable husband of Mary, Mother of God, and St. Francis Xavier, apostle to South East Asia who came close to Australia in the Malaysian archipelago. These together with the window of the Immaculate Conception in the chapel, were all donated by William Dixon in memory of his deceased wife. Ellen.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1838 - 1844 Father James Ambrose Cotham Monk
1845 - 1880 Father Thomas Butler Locum 1880
1880 - 1923 Father Dan Beechinor 1923
1903 - Father W. R Mounsey
1904 - Father Cunningham
1923 - Father McNay
1946 - Father Peter Hansen approx start date.
1948 - Father Jim Hughes approx start date.
1948 - Father Robert Kennedy 1986
1949 - 1949 Father Gerald Fitzgerald 1978
1956 - 1971 Father Joe Howe
1971 - Father Edwyn C Lloyd 1989
1980 - Father Peter Nicholls 1937 1963
1989 - 1999 Father Chris Hope
1991 - Father Phil McCormack Asst
2010 - Father Mark Freeman

Organ:

The current organ was built in 1933 by Geo. Fincham & Sons and re built in 1975 by K.R. Davis & Son.

Source:

1. Wikapedia.
2. Priceless Heritage. W.T. Southerwood.