Lilydale, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic (20010)
Year Built: 1890
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 13/07/2021
History and Architecture:
The first services were held in the Commerford family home in Edwards Street and on occasions in the de Castella's home. In 1863 Dr Fitzpatrick applied for 2 acres at the corner of Jones and Clarke Streets. In May 1864 work commenced on a small wooden building which was completed in January 1865.
St Patrick's Lilydale was established as a seperate mission in October 1889. A Foundation stone for a new presbytery was laid in June 1890 by Archbishop Carr and the building was completed in June 1890.
In mid 1869 Father Finn was suggesting a new church was needed. By 1870 the Catholic community of Lilydale had taken Father Finn's suggestion (on board) and engaged Architect Mr M Martalli to design a granite Gothic Church. Mr David Mitchell was the bulider.
Within four months of the Foundation stone being laid the church was completed and was dedicated on the Sunday after St Patrick's day by Bishop Goold.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1869 -||Father Finn|
|1889 -||Father Thomas Lynch||1941|
|-||Father Francis Hennessy||1932|
|1914 - 1933||Father Gerald Byrne||1937|
|1933 - 1937||Father Edward Nowlan||1990|
|1937 - 1947||Father M G. Tuomey||1978|
|1947 -||Father M. O'Sullivan|
|1961 - 1971||Father O'Callaghan|
|1971 - 1989||Father C. Tricarico||2005|
|1976 -||Father Elliott|
|1986 -||Father O'Neill|
|1989 -||Father R Whitehouse|
|2019 -||Father Arsenio Tuazon|
No information currently available
Vine and Branches. The story of St Patrick's Lilydale Parish Centenary 1989. SLT 282.9451 V75S