Lismore, VIC - Presbyterian
Year Built: 1864
Address: High Street, Lismore, Victoria, 3324
Traditional Owners: Wadawurrung people
Last Updated: 20/06/2023
History and Architecture:
At the Congregational Meeting held on the 10th March, 1864, a motion was approved " that a church be built, that the building be of stone, according to a plan that may afterward be considered desirable." A building committee was appointed, consisting of Messrs J. L. Currie, John Logan and Archibald Glenn.
On the 29th March the tender of George H. Botterill was accepted, the amount being £426 10. On the 8th June the foundation stone was well and truly laid by Miss Henrietta Currie (Mrs P. S. Lang), and on the 9th October the church was formally opened and dedicated to the worship of God by the Rev. Irving Hetherington, of Scots Church, Melbourne. The Rev. S. Corrie, the parish minister, was also present.
The Church bell was cast in Geelong in 1865 to the order of Mr J.L. Currie. It bears the inscription " Laus Deo" on one side and "Lismore Sabbath Bell" on the other.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1858 - 1874||Rev S. Corrie||1905|
|1874 - 1886||Rev Horatio Ellerman||1886|
|1887 - 1891||Rev A. C. Smith|
|1891 - 1892||Rev C. F. Howe||1857||1892|
|1893 - 1907||Rev G. B. McNair||1864||1907|
|1908 - 1912||Rev J. C. McPhee|
|1912 -||Rev E. A. Forbes|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Presbyterian Church of Victoria Lismore Parish Jubilee Historical Sketch. 1864 - 1914. SLT 285.2945 L69