Longreach, QLD - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Brigid

Address: 103 Emu Street, Longreach, Queensland, 4730

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Iningai people

Last Updated: 04/06/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The first Catholic Church in Longreach was a humble 15 x 39 foot structure made of iron, and was only meant to be used temporarily. The first purpose built church was overseen by Fr William Hanley. It was consecrated by Bishop Cani on 23 June 1895. The iron building was sold for removal. By the early 1910s, a larger church was required.

A new gothic style church was built next to the existing church. On 23 May 1915 the last Mass was performed in the old church. After a procession across to the new larger building, Bishop Shiel consecrated the new church and the first Mass was sung in the new building by the Very Rev Plormel.

By the end of 1915, the smaller church was moved behind the new church, had verandas added and become known as St Columba's Hall. Unfortunately, on 7 October 1955, the beautiful gothic structure was raised to the ground by a fire that also irrevocably damaged St Columba's Hall and the presbytery. Just one year later, on October 13, 1956 the current Church was consecrated by visiting Apolstolic Delegate to Australia, Archbishop Romolo Carboni assisted by Monsignor English.

The current St Brigid's is the fourth Church in Longreach.

A Foundation stone reads, " St Brigid's War Memorial Church erected to the memory  of all those who lost their lives in the two world wars this foundation stone was blessed and laid by The Most Rev A. Tynan D.D. Bishop of Rockhampton Oct 7 1956 Rt Rev Mgt Byrne PPVF".


These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1901 - 1902 Father O'Shea
1902 - Father Willam James Croke 1903
1902 - 1904 Father Collins 1967
1904 - 1907 Father O'Carroll
1907 - 1912 Father Lane
1912 - 1916 Father Healey
1916 - 1923 Father McLaughlin
1923 - 1930 Father Jones
1930 - 1931 Dean Rowan
1931 - 1950 Dean McElhinney 1965
1950 - 1952 Dean Michael J. Dolan 1975
1952 - 1958 Monsignor T. Byrne
1958 - Dean Lynam 1984
1980 - 1984 Father Terence Loth
1987 - Father John Stallard


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. Noticeboard on inside Church Foyer.
2. Deceased Clergy in Australia, 1788-present