Maclean, NSW - Free Presbyterian
Year Built: 1864
Traditional Owners: Bundjalung people
Last Updated: 27/09/2022
History and Architecture:
A wall plaque reads, "Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia. This building erected in 1864, was the first building in town, and is the oldest church in the Clarence Valley still in continuous use. Services were conducted by a visiting minister until a call was made to the Reverend Duncan McInnes who was inducted into the church on July 30th 1868. He remained until his death in 1908.
Reverend McInnes was born in Argyleshire, and for many years conducted two services each Sunday, one in Gaelic the other in English. In the early years of his ministry, he was the only Protestant minister on the Lower Clarence, and therefore called on to conduct marriage, baptismal and funeral services whenever needed.
A manse was built for Reverend McInnes shortly after his arrival, but some time after his death it was, demolished and the present manse built".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1868 - 1908||Rev Duncan McInnes||1908|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.