Manuka, ACT - St Paul's Anglican
Year Built: 1938
Architect: J Burcham Clamp
Traditional Owners: Ngunnawal people
Last Updated: 21/04/2023
History and Architecture:
Of Gothic design, revealing the influence of W B Griffin on his former partner, the architect J Burcham Clamp. A parishioner, W J Perry was the successful tenderer. The foundation stone was laid by The Governor-General, Lord Gowrie on 11 December 1938. Four bays of the nave were completed by July 1939 and dedicated on 6 August 1939 by Bishop Burghmann. Built of red brick, the Church is of traditional Gothic form, but with stylish geometric details. There are unusual triangular buttresses, stepped brick tracery and a tall octagonal lantern on the transept tower.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1971 - 1972||Rev David Michael Hill||Asst C||1945|
|1974 - 1976||Rev F. J. Dau||Asst|
|1981 -||Rev A L Constance|
|1982 -||Rev Lindsay John Troth||D||1951|
|1989 -||Rev Stephen Robert Simkus||D|
|1989 -||Rev Eric Anthony Parkinson||Asst|
|2015 -||Rev Dr Brian Douglas|
The first Organ see: Canberra. St Luke's Anglican Church, Deakin. The present organ was built in 1972-74 by A. Welby. The combination organ - part electronic, part pipe - has finally arrived in Australia. Although relatively common in the USA, the new installation at St Paul's Anglican Church in Manuka, ACT, is believed to be the first significant combination organ in Australia. It as 3m., 19 sp.st., 6c., el.pn. Gt: 18.104.22.168-2/3.2.1-1/3. Sw: 22.214.171.124.1.II.8. Ch: 8.8.4. Ped: 16.8.4. Many electronic stops were added to the organ in 2001.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.