Marrickville, NSW - St Clements Anglican
Year Built: 1888
Address: 90 Petersham Road, Marrickville, New South Wales, 2204
Architect: Spain & Cosh
Traditional Owners: Cadigal people
Last Updated: 01/05/2023
History and Architecture:
A Foundation stone was laid on 13 January 1883 by the Honourable Charles Campbell MLC.
A large Gothic Revival Church built around 1888 and designed by architects Spain & Cosh. Styled in the early English style constructed of red brick with stone, brick and terracotta detailing. The tall corner spire has two tiers of windows and is clad in interlocking zinc sheets.
The hall, a simple rectangular building, incorporates the original church school built on the site in 1883. The rectory was substantially renovated in a Georgian style in 1956 by Prof. Leslie Wilkinson.
Today the church name has been changed to the Marrickville Road Church.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|- 1870||Rev Francis Bellingham||1792||1870|
|1891 - 1907||Canon Arthur Edward Bellingham||1858||1927|
|1887 - 1891||Rev Edwin Henry Wright||1843||1937|
|1896 - 1897||Rev Frederick Joseph Dillon||Curate||1866||1958|
|1907 - 1926||Archdeacon William Martin|
|1900 - 1904||Rev George Edward Brown||Curate||1876||1940|
|1900 -||Rev William George Chisholm||Lay Reader for part of year||1874||1953|
|1903 -||Rev Arthur James Fraser||Lay Reader||1880||1982|
|1906 -||Rev John Bidwell||Lay Reader||1884||1974|
|1907 - 1908||Rev Arthur Thomas Jackman||Curate||1880||1943|
|1907 - 1926||Rev William Martin||1859||1952|
|1908 - 1909||Rev John Henry Wilcoxson||Curate||1881||1975|
|1909 - 1910||Rev Stephen Henry Denman||Curate||1882||1960|
|1911 - 1913||Rev Spencer Edward Maxted||Curate||1882||1916|
|1911 - 1913||Rev Herbery Ernest Warren||Curate||1885||1934|
|1913 - 1913||Rev Murray Austin Scales||Curate||1888||1965|
|1913 -||Rev Alfred Stephen Smith||Catechist||1885||1949|
|1913 - 1914||Rev Francis Stanley Love||Curate||1889||1958|
|1917 -||Rev Reginald Philip Gee||Lay Reader||1895||1978|
|1918 - 1919||Rev William Alexander Brice||Curate||1880||1953|
|1920 - 1920||Rev Leonard Gabbott||Locum||1868||1951|
|1920 - 1921||Rev William Kingston||Curate||1891||1967|
|1920 - 1922||Rev Arnold Adelbert Conolly||Curate||1875||1933|
|1922 - 1924||Rev Robert John Hewett||Curate||1894||1984|
|1923 - 1923||Rev Arthur Killworth||Locum||1855||1945|
|1924 - 1926||Rev Leslie George Edmondson||Curate||1893||1951|
|1925 - 1926||Rev Edwin John Davidson||Curate||1899||1958|
|1926 - 1929||Rev William George Hilliard||1887||1960|
|1928 - 1929||Rev Owlad Sydney Fleck||Curate||1899||1953|
|1929 - 1958||Rev Stephen Henry Denman||1882||1960|
|1929 - 1931||Rev Ronald George Ashcroft||Curate||1883|
|1932 - 1934||Rev Frederick Allen Shaw||Curate||1900||1994|
|1933 - 1933||Rev Charles William Hammond||Curate||1906||1957|
|1934 - 1937||Rev Allan Leonard Ironside||Curate||1907||1975|
|1936 - 1936||Rev Stephen Harry Denman||Rural Dean||1882||1960|
|1936 - 1936||Rev Swindlehurst||Curate||1978|
|1937 - 1939||Rev Robert William Hemming||Curate||1908||1985|
|1940 - 1942||Rev John Boby MacGowan||Curate||1911||1995|
|1943 - 1945||Rev Walter John Haynes||Catherist then Curate||1912||1997|
|1974 - 1976||Rev Jeffray Mills||Rural Dean||1911||2004|
|1993 -||Rev C. J. Clerke|
|1998 - 1999||Rev C. J. Clerke||Asst|
|2019 -||Rev Ross Ciano|
The organ was built by Sydney builder, William Davidson around 1897, and installed in 1900. It had originally been built to be used at St Andrew's Cathedral while Davidson rebuilt the Hill organ there in 1899. The organ has had two reconstructions, the first by C.W.Leggo between 1928 and 1929 and the second by Ian Brown in 1974.
1. N Cornish
2. D. Martin further clergy name.
1. The Parish of St Clement Marrickville Jubilee 1886-1936. A Brief record of its history.
2. Cable Clerical Index with permission.