Maryborough, QLD - St Paul's Anglican
Year Built: 1879
Architect: FDG Stanley
Traditional Owners: Gubbi Gubbi, Batjala people
Last Updated: 05/08/2023
History and Architecture:
The first erected church remained in use for ten years, until it was replaced with another timber church dedicated as St Paul's Episcopal church on 27 May 1866. This church was designed by Maryborough architect, William Montgomerie Davenport Davidson, who as a church warden provided his services without charge. Maryborough flourished in the late 1860s as a result of the discovery of gold in Gympie in 1867, for which Maryborough was the port.
The Church was built from 1878 to 1921. It was constructed as the third Church, replacing a timber church on the same site. The building was designed by prominent Queensland architect, FDG Stanley in 1879.
The design Stanley provided to the Church of England for their church in Maryborough was very similar to his design for the Holy Trinity Church of England in Fortitude Valley. Both churches are constructed of brick on a masonry foundation and have a similar traditional church floorplan of central nave flanked by aisles with apsidal chancel and porch entrance. The clerestory in both buildings is supported on a cast iron pointed arched arcade extending for the length of the nave, with cedar panels set in the spandrels of the arches.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1853 - 1854||Rev Edward Tanner||1853||1854|
|1868 - 1868||Rev William Archibald Smyly||Lay Reader|
|1868 - 1873||Rev George Giberne Danvers||1841||1933|
|1873 - 1875||Rev Edward Tanner||1853||1854|
|1875 - 1876||Rev John Herman Leopold Zilman||1841||1919|
|1884 - 1885||Rev Benjamin White Clinch||Curate||1852||1933|
|1887 - 1889||Rev James Coles||1853||1917|
|1887 - 1891||Rev John Ernest Clayton||Curate||1841||1895|
|1903 -||Rev J. B. Brocklehurst||Locum||1877||1957|
|1909 - 1911||Rev Charles Christopher Compton||Curate||1875||1933|
|1913 - 1915||Rev Charles Tunstall||Curate||1882||1974|
|1916 - 1919||Rev John Reginald Stotten||Curate||1882||1955|
|1917 - 1921||Archdeacon Melville Charles James||1877||1957|
|1921 - 1922||Rev Thomas Edward Bird||Curate||1885||1942|
|1922 - 1925||Rev Ernest Henry Smith||Curate||1894||1978|
|1926 - 1928||Rev Henry Kestell Cornish||Curate||1890||1971|
|1938 - 1940||Rev Ernest Reed Chittenden||Curate||1909||1968|
|1940 - 1943||Rev Frank Bromley||Curate||1900||1970|
|1947 -||Rev Arthur Taylor Knox||Curate||1891||1959|
|2022? -||Rector Sue Wilson|
The Organ was built by Wadsworth of Manchester in 1883. Installed in 1884 by B.B. Whitehouse, for the 'Brisbane Piano Warehouse'. It had 2 manuals, 21 speaking stops, mechanical action. Rebuilt with additions and alterations in 1969 by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane. Renovated in 1999 by W.J. Simon Pierce of Brisbane. It has 2 manuals, 24 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Cable Clerical Index.
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.