Mentone, VIC - Davies Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 74 Venice Street, Mentone, Victoria, 3194

Previous Denomination: Presbyterian

Architect: Charles Figgis

Last Updated: 22/04/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The church is styled after the Gothic Revival approach by architect Charles Figgis, who also created the Mentone Hotel.

Mentone was moved by news of the passing of Mrs Mary Davies in 1887. Mother to nine children, she had been a tireless worker for the community and devoted member of the Presbyterian church.

In honour of her name, her husband, the brother of Sir Matthew Davies, donated land and raised funds for a new church. The foundation stone was laid in 1889.

The Foundation stone weighed about three tons, had an inscription in gold letters. The ceremony was performed by Mr J.B. Davies after a short service in which the Rev. Mr MacKenzie (moderator of the general Asemebly), Rev Ewing Gardiner and Fergus (the minister of the charge) took part. Mr Davies was presented with a silver trowel, and also a perspective view of the church by the architect.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1891 - Rev R M Fergus P
1917 - Rev W. Agnew P
2020 ? - Rev Greg Fry U


The Organ was built in 1907 by George Fincham & Sons for Presbyterian Church, Prahran. It was rebuilt in 1958 & installed in present location in 1963 by George Fincham & Sons. It has 2m, 19spst, 7c, elpn. Gt: Sw: Ped:


2. Local Council website.
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.