Mile End, SA - St Jame's Anglican (30380)
Year Built: 1884
Last Updated: 03/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The Church was opened by Bishop Kennion on 1 February 1884.
Many years before Mr Justice Gwynne had given an acre of land in the village of Cowandilla for church purposes. This was sold for £150 and an allotment bought in a more central position in the Thebarton area. This is the present site of the church. Due to the energetic work of the Reverend F.R. Coghlan a contract was let and the church quickly built.
Immediatley upon completion of the building Coghlan handed over the care of the Mile End district to the Bishops's Home Mission Society.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1882 - 1884||Rev F. R Coghlan||B.A.|
|1884 - 1889||Rev Frederick Taylor Whittington|
|1889 - 1891||Rev B C Stephenson||B.A.|
|1892 - 1900||Rev J. G. Pitcher|
|1900 - 1902||Rev P Wise||M.A.|
|1902 - 1903||Rev H J. Edwards|
|1903 - 1905||Rev S J. Blyod|
|1905 - 1909||Rev S. S. Moncrieff|
|1909 - 1920||Rev Walter Franz Wehrstedst||B.A.|
|1921 - 1957||Rev C. J. Whitefield||B.A.|
|1957 - 1964||Rev L E. W. Renfrey||B.A. Th.L.|
|1957 - 1964||Rev D M Sutherland||Th.L.|
|1964 - 1967||Rev A. J. Taylor||Th Dip|
|1972 - 1978||Rev P C Hunter||Th.L.|
|1978 - 1986||Rev Ralph William Holden||Th.L.||1934|
|1986 -||Rev D J. Williams||Dip. T. MACE|
|2014 -||Rev Zinkoo Han|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
A History of St James Anglican Church by John Haynes SA 283. 94231 H424 1987