Mooroopna, VIC - Methodist (Former)
Year Built: 1879
Traditional Owners: Kaieltheban people
Last Updated: 17/03/2023
History and Architecture:
Land for the Methodist church building was purchased on 29 August 1878. The bricks were fired locally by a Mr Clarkson. The church was constructed in 1879 by the local United Free Methodist congregation. The new church was opened by its first minister, Rev. Isaacs. Other early ministers were Revs Richards, RJ Garde, F Clemens, D Porteus, T Reid and JH Cain.
A major renovation was undertaken in 1936 or 1937, made possible by a bequest from the estate of John Knight. In 1941, when Rev Pearce Barber took up a military chaplaincy.
The former Mooroopna Methodist church was sold in 1987 and is now a private home.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1923 - 1926||Rev Arthur A. Lyons|
|1929 - 1933||Rev Edmund Arthur Hinson||1968|
|1938 - 1941||Rev Pearce B. Barber|
|1942 - 1943||Rev Eric V. Saynor||1989|
|1950 - 1952||Rev Eric F. Osborn||2007|
|1952 - 1956||Rev Joseph Leach|
|1956 - 1960||Rev Leonard Bluff|
|1960 -||Rev Keith A. Stephens|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Greater Shepparton Heritage study.
2. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index
3. Mooroopna Historical Society for photo. Receipt #1102-5859