Mornington, VIC - St Peter's Anglican (20503)

Year Built: 1861

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Peter

Address: Queen Street, Mornington, Victoria, 3931

Last Updated: 03/02/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

St Peter's Church of England, (Anglican) Queen Street, Mornington, is a brick Church designed by architect Leonard Terry and built in stages commencing in 1861. The Church was opened on 19 May 1861. Later extensions include remainder of the nave, chancel, sanctuary and distinctive porch, which may have been built 1863 and much altered or built this century. Built on a stone plinth, the church has a slate roof, lancet windows, prominent string courses, gable foots and buttresses.

Consecration of the Church took place on 17 May 1877.

The Church is distinguished by west lancet window and gable and buttress details.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1861 - 1869 Rev J Glover
1869 - 1873 Rev Thomas Abraham 1842 1907
1873 - 1875 Rev T R.C. Campbell
1875 - 1888 Rev Thomas Quinton 1847 1935
1888 - 1889 Rev Alfred Rashleigh Stackhouse 1854 1896
1889 - 1896 Rev B N White
1896 - 1908 Rev J. S Woods
1908 - 1919 Rev S. Sandiford
1919 - 1927 Rev George Ellis Aickin
1927 - 1936 Rev E. I Gason
1936 - 1946 Rev Harold Owen Watson 1882 1946
1946 - 1950 Rev Francis Alfred Ray 1880 1950
1950 - 1958 Rev G S Hall
1958 - 1967 Rev Albert Edward Bellamy 1902 1970
1963 - 1965 Rev D. J. Allan
1967 - 1969 Rev Alexander Lake Mills 1913 1990
1969 - 1979 Rev J. A. McAuley
1978 - 1982 Rev William Joseph Squire Asst P
1979 - Rev R. H. Pidgeon 1926
1984 - 1986 Rev Ian William Battersby Asst 1941
1987 - 1999 Rev K. W. Parker
1989 - 1993 Rev Clemence Charlotte Taplin Asst C 1951
1994 - Rev L McLean Asst
1997 - 1999 Rev Andrew John Tasker Asst C 1963
2021? - Rev Helen Phillips

Organ:

Originally built and installed by Hill, Norman and Beard in 1954, additions were made in 1972 and 1997. it was a gift of C.P. Fairbairn, ESQ.

Source:

1. St Peter's Mornington 1861 - 1986 LTP 283.9452M28S
2. Cable Clerical Index