Mudgee, NSW - St John the Baptist Anglican (10548)
Year Built: 1860
Saint: John the Baptist
Traditional Owners: Wiradjuri people
Last Updated: 03/07/2022
History and Architecture:
Influential men in Mudgee recognised the need for a permanent church to be built and a meeting was called. An amount of six hundred pounds was raised and a building committee was formed. In just over three years the first church of St John the Baptist was designed and built. On 16th May 1841 St John's was consecrated by the Bishop of Australia William Grant Broughton.
The second Church was built in 1860. Designed by colonial architects Weaver & Kemp, replacing the earlier church. In 1881 a warden of the church, Mr. R. White donated the Brindley & Forster Pipe Organ, a Sheffield steel bell and the bell tower. A restoration project included the restoration of the pipe organ with over 1600 pipes, the repair of rendered walls and the repainting of painted work.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1863 - 1868||Rev James Ross||Curate||1836||1902|
|1868 - 1871||Rev Thomas Broughton Tress||Curate||1844||1906|
|1873 - 1878||Rev Frederick William Stretton||Curate||1845||1885|
|1894 -||Rev Reginald Smee||Curate||1870||1929|
|1911 - 1921||Rev William James Dunstan||1857||1921|
|1918 - 1920||Rev Arthur Samuel Rowe||Curate||1888||1953|
|1929 -||Rev Leslie Clyde Smith Walker||Locum||1896||1975|
|1930 - 1932||Deacon Robert Rolleston Sansom||1906||1962|
|1932 - 1936||Archdeacon Ernest Albert Salisbury||1881||1950|
|1933 - 1934||Rev Clifford Edward Ussher||Deacon||1908||1993|
|1934 - 1938||Rev Leslie Clyde Smith Walker||1896||1975|
|1959 - 1963||Rev Vernon D. Hartwig|
|1964 -||Rev Frank Weston||Locum||1894||1970|
|1964 - 1965||Rev Alan B. Rich|
|1965 - 1970||Rev Graham H. Walden|
|1970 - 1982||Rev Aubrey P. Reeder|
|1982 - 1987||Rev Clyde J. Evenden|
|1987 - 1993||Rev Michael Birch|
|1993 - 1997||Rev Campbell Brown|
|1997 - 2000||Rev Doanld Saines|
|2001 - 2006||Rev Jennifer Inglis|
|2001 - 2006||Rev Philip Gill|
|2007 - 2010||Rev Anne Wentzel|
|2011 - 2014||Rev Maxwell Wood|
|2014 - 2016||Rev David P. Craig|
The pipe organ came to St John's as a gift from Robert White in 1882, who was then the manager of the Bank of NSW in Mudgee. The organ was built by an English firm Brindley & Forster. The organ gallery was then built across the west end of the church to accommodate it.
1. Cable Clerical Index.
2. Church honour Board.
3. St John the Baptist Church of Mudgee LH 283.994 ANG