Mudgee, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1875
Architect: Thomas Rowe
Traditional Owners: Wiradjuri people
Last Updated: 15/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser in an article on 5 June 1875 noted, "On the 27th ultimo, the Foundation stone of the new Presbyterian Church, at Mudgee, was laid by Mrs Dickson. The architect was Thomas Rowe. There was a large attendance present there being some 300 or 400 people in attendance. The Freemasons, decked out in the full regalia of their order, walked in procession to the grounds followed by the members of the Protestant Alliance Association. The Mudgee Volunteer Band led the way, playing appropriate sacred tunes".
The new Church was opened by the Rev. Dr. Steel on 10th March, 1878. There were large attendances at the services. Dr. Steel preached in the morning and the Rev. Dr. Geikie, minister of Bathurst. preached in the evening. The choir was conducted by Mr. Taylor who presided at the harmonium.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1884 -||Rev George Washinton Neely|
|1885 - 1888||Rev William Gibson Maconochie|
|1888 - 1893||Rev John Clark McDonald|
|1894 - 1901||Rev Charles W. Willis|
|1902 - 1906||Rev Thomas Davies Evans||1935|
|1907 - 1908||Rev Hugh Stewart Anderson||1938|
|1909 - 1916||Rev Thomas John Curtis||1924|
|1917 -||Rev Richard Bourne Garner|
|1920 - 1921||Rev S. A. Faulkner|
|2022 -||Rev Ian Halbisch|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser 5 June 1875
3. Ryerson Index.
4. Circling a Century - A History of St Paul's Presbyterian Church Mudgee 1858 - 1958 LH 285.994 PRE