Muswellbrook, NSW - St Alban's Anglican (10273)
Year Built: 1869
Last Updated: 24/05/2022
History and Architecture:
This church is the only building designed for Australia by the noted English architect Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878) under the supervision of E.T. Blackett and J.H. Hunt. Built between 1864 and 1869, it is constructed in stone with a copper-clad broach spire to the north.
St Alban's took five years to complete and was dedicated by Bishop Tyrrell on 17th June, 1869. It stands as a memorial to the faith of the early settlers of New South Wales. The Foundation stone was laid on 11 November 1864 by the Right Reverend W Tyrrell Bishop of Newcastle.
In the 1880s the wooden bell tower and the fence, both designed by John Horbury Hunt were added.
A plaque on the church reads, "AMDG In memory of Margaret Bassingthwaighte entered into rest 7.8.45. These gates were erected under a bequest of her husband".
Another plaque reads, "To the Glory of God the clock in the Tower of this Church was erected in memory of the Venerable W.C. White who was Rector in this Parish for 40 years".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1843 - 1847||Rev W. F Gore|
|1850 - 1852||Rev F. R Kemp||Asst|
|1871 - 1876||Rev C. M Mills|
|1889 - 1892||Rev F. D Grigson|
|1857 - 1859||Rev J A. Greaves|
|1864 -||Rev W. E White|
|1893 - 1894||Rev A. A. Rolfe|
|1893 - 1896||Rev R W. Thomas|
|1897 - 1898||Rev A H Garnsey|
|1899 - 1902||Rev G V. Portus|
|1901 - 1903||Rev R. V. King|
|1906 - 1907||Rev R R Noake|
|1907 - 1908||Rev A. N Johnson|
|1908 - 1909||Rev W C.C. Caton|
|1910 - 1912||Rev Keven D Norman|
|1913 - 1914||Rev R Schmitzer|
|1921 - 1936||Rev W A.M. Cambell|
|1936 - 1952||Rev Horace Hobart||1886||1968|
|1952 - 1957||Rev F. W. Rush|
|1957 - 1957||Rev Philip Dowe||Asst||1931|
|1957 - 1970||Rev C. Francis|
|1975 - 1984||Rev P.W. Ashley Brown|
|1976 - 1978||Rev P L Mumford||Asst|
|1981 - 1983||Rev N J. Bowditch||Asst||1953|
|1984 - 1987||Rev Ian Duke Stuart||1928|
|1988 - 1999||Rev Colvin Leslie Ford||1947|
|1989 - 1992||Rev Arthur John Copeman||Asst||1958|
|1994 - 1995||Rev H N Bright||Asst||1964|
|1998 -||Rev Ronald N. Batty||Asst||1947|
The organ was built in 1868 by J.W. Walker of London.
Deb Doran supplied the photo's 2012
1. Cable Clerical Index