Nelson, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)
Year Built: 1909
Architect: Thomas Hall
Traditional Owners: Gunditjmara people
Last Updated: 14/08/2023
History and Architecture:
The first Church service recorded to have been held in the Nelson Hotel by Reverend R. A. Caldwell in 1875. The former Church buildings' original neat gothic design was built in yellow sandstone from the local area and inspired by appointed architect Mr Thomas Hall, A Scot from Galashiels. The Mason was Mr H. Knight of Mt Gambier.
In 1908 the Church purchased the land on which the church building currently sits. Built by the congregation of the Church in 1909, and officially opened on the 20th August 1910. The residents put some £100's worth of materials into the cost and it cost them an additional £198.
The Church is to be sold in 2023.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1875 -||Rev R. A. Caldwell|