Newstead, TAS - Baptist (Former) (8165)
Year Built: 1905
Last Updated: 21/08/2021
History and Architecture:
It was in 1905 that a group of dedicated Christian people from the Launceston Baptist Tabernacle in Cimitiere Street saw the need to extend the work of the Church into the suburbs. The fast growing "Elphin Rise" area, with its high proportion of young families, was chosen. A public ceremony was held in June 1905 when the foundation stone was laid by Mr. William Dubrelle Weston, for what was to become the Elphin Baptist Church.
Built in the early 1900s of Gothic design. It stands tall and dignified behind an elegant wrought iron fence and ornate gates. The beautifully shaped Gothic style doors and windows are a distinctive feature. After about 18 months the Church was completed, and on a Sunday in October 1907, the first service was held.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1917 - 1924||Pastor David Samuel Harvey|
|1925 - 1932||Pastor A. E. Albury|
|1932 - 1938||Pastor Jon J English|
|1938 - 1939||Pastor W Fletcher|
|1940 - 1941||Pastor L. J. Austin|
|1944 - 1949||Pastor Maxwell Broughton Kingdom|
|1949 - 1956||Pastor Arthur Barnard|
|1958 - 1959||Pastor David Nibbs|
|1959 - 193||Pastor Ken Tuck B.Sc|
|1965 - 1967||Pastor Ernest Henry Greeney|
|1969 - 1972||Pastor William Spiers|
|1974 - 1979||Pastor Max Richarson|
|1980 - 1982||Pastor Michael Priddle|
|1983 - 1984||Pastor John Priddle|
|1985 - 1987||Pastor Colin Dennis|
1. A Church and its People, Olive Dowling