Newtown, NSW - Newtown Mission

Year Built: 1860

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 284 King Street, Newtown, New South Wales, 2042

Previous Denomination: Methodist

Architect: George Allan Mansfield

Traditional Owners: Cadigal people

Last Updated: 04/02/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The foundation stone for the present Church was laid by the Honourable George Allen on 30 September 1859 and the opening services were held in July and August 1860. The architect was George Allan Mansfield and the builder Thomas Abbot. Allen's design was the first in Australia to follow the Wesleyan Model Chapel guidelines. These guidelines originated with the Bristol Wesleyan Methodist Conference of 1846 which appointed a Model Plan Committee to determine the form and design of an ideal parish Church for Wesleyans.

In 1864 a western gallery was erected. In 1875 Thomas Rowe, architect, was commissioned to extensively alter the interior.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1920 - 1923 Rev William C. Francis M
1923 - 1926 Rev Raymond H. Doust M
1924 - 1939 Rev Edgar A. Walker Mission
1932 - 1936 Rev Frank L. Biddle M
1939 - 1941 Rev Raymond C. Clark Mission
1940 - Rev S. W. McKibbin M
1946 - 1949 Rev Donald A. Clarke Mission
1953 - Rev John W. Spencer M


There is a large organ built in 1878 by the famous London firm of Hill and Sons. In 1910 the organ case was rebuilt by George Finchman and Son and the pipes were stencilled in blue, red, green, buff and gold decoration. This makes it only one of three organs in NSW with fully stencilled 16ft pipefront (the others are All Saints at Hunters Hill and St Saviours Cathedral at Goulburn.
For a full description and photos click here.


1. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index
2. Australian Heritage Database.
3. Organ Music Society of Sydney with permission.