North Hobart, TAS - Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox (7025)
Year Built: 1841
Denomination: Greek Orthodox
Previous Denomination: Anglican
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Architect: James Blackburn
Last Updated: 03/11/2022
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone was laid in 1841. The bell tower is of international heritage significance, and it contains Australia's oldest bells, weighing over 2.5 tonnes. The bells were first rung on Regatta Day, 1847. Archdeacon Hutchins was the main proponent behind the construction of Holy Trinity Church.
The church was designed by ex-convict James Blackburn, who was the first in Australia to design a church in correct Gothic style. The entry is under the square tower, which has four levels, and was topped with four spirelets. The buttresses on the tower have gabletes.
The stone walls around three sides of the property create a coherent setting of a grand church within its own precinct. The original, traditional, stained-glass windows in the south wall were replaced in 1922 with those of a contemporary design by local artist Lucien Dechaineux.
Formerly an Anglican church it was sold to the Greek Orthodox community after a 2007 review. Foundation stone was laid by Sir John Franklin.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1834 -||Rev Thomas Beagly Naylor||Locum||1805||1849|
|1849 -||Rev Francis Brownrigg||1817||1889|
|1851 - 1853||Rev Henry Abdy Middleton||Curate||1824||1867|
|1876 - 1911||Rev G. W. Shoobridge||Curate to 1880|
|1881 -||Rev Charles Frederick LOste||Asst Curate||1829||1935|
|1882 - 1885||Rev Alfred Martin||Asst Curate||1920|
|1885 - 1887||Rev G. F.M. Fielding||Asst Curate|
|1887 - 1888||Rev Walter Moriarty Hurburgh||Asst Curate||1850||1934|
|1890 - 1891||Rev H. W. Haden||Asst Curate|
|1891 - 1892||Rev E. C. Spink||Asst Curate|
|1892 - 1897||Rev C. Vaughan||Asst Curate|
|1897 - 1900||Rev H. E. Whittlinton||Asst Curate|
|1900 - 1902||Rev F. Taylor||Asst Curate|
|1902 -||Rev C. Dowling||Asst Curate|
|1902 - 1903||Rev W. Hooker||Asst Curate|
|1903 - 1905||Rev J. Hebblethwaite||Asst Curate|
|1904 - 1905||Rev Stephen Henry Hughes||1859||1934|
|1905 - 1907||Rev D. R. Robson||Asst Curate|
|1907 - 1910||Rev Ormonde Winstanley Birch||Asst Curate||1879||1969|
|1910 - 1913||Rev Donald Burns Blackwood||Asst Curate||1884||1967|
|1911 - 1916||Rev Richard Kelly|
|1914 - 1916||Rev E. S.C. Woolley||Asst Curate|
|1916 - 1917||Rev A. R. Sinclair||Asst Curate|
|1916 - 1924||Rev Henry Brune Atkinson||1874||1960|
|1917 - 1918||Rev E. W. Julien||Asst Curate|
|1921 - 1924||Rev Frederick Henry Lansdell||Curate||1891||1974|
|1924 - 1929||Rev C. G. Williams||Asst Curate|
|1930 -||Rev J. E. Atkins||Asst Curate|
|1932 -||Rev R. B. Cranswick||Asst Curate|
|1942 - 1952||Rev Francis Joseph McCabe||Curate||1888||1961|
|2020 ? -||Rev Timothy Evangelinidis|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Churches of Colonial Hobart, a field guide to Hobart's history in 24 buildings.
2. The Australian Anglican Directory 2000.
3. The Story of Trinity 1833 - 1933 Compiled by Frank Bowden & Max Crawford LSC P 283.94661 BOW