Numurkah, VIC - St George's Anglican (21033)
Year Built: 1960
Last Updated: 05/12/2021
History and Architecture:
The earliest Church of England services were held in the dining room of the original Numurkah Hotel, a weatherboard building which occupied the whole of the site, where stands today the present Numurkah Hotel and the old State Savings Bank occupied by Maurice McNamara & Co. In the early 1880's services were held in the State School building. The first Church of England services recorded in the local press were held in the Mechanics Institute.
In 1884 the first block of land was purchased in Melville Street and the second block of land ajoining was purchased a year later which doubled the area. A Rectory was built on this some years later. In June, 1885, tenders were called for the erection of a wooden church. The Architect was Alan McDonald and the builder, Mr. Harrison.
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was blessed and set into position by Thomas, third Bishop of Wangaratta on the 22 day of Oct 1960. Louis R Williams Architect Louis Hamon Church Warden G.L. Perry Rector".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1884 - 1885||Rev C Reddie|
|1885 - 1887||Rev H W. Lanr|
|1886 - 1890||Rev Jonas Youlden||1839||1906|
|1883 - 1884||Rev J Osbourne|
|1888 - 1890||Rev Jonas Youlden||1839||1906|
|1891 - 1895||Rev William Dalton||1857||1939|
|1885 - 1886||Rev Henry Wils Lane||Reader||1849||1936|
|1890 -||Rev George Alexander Prince Mendelssohn||Reader||1863||1897|
|1891 - 1895||Rev William Dalton||Curate||1857||1939|
|1896 - 1900||Rev Robert Elliott||1856||1920|
|1900 - 1903||Rev Frank Grist||1867||1930|
|1903 - 1906||Rev Percy John Thomas Edwards||1851||1940|
|1906 - 1908||Rev John Stanley Wells||1867||1927|
|1909 - 1917||Rev Sydney Wentworth Williamson||1875||1954|
|1917 - 1919||Rev E Hankinson||1875||1951|
|1919 - 1920||Rev Ernest Aldington Hunt||Curate||1895||1980|
|1919 - 1922||Rev Frederick Henry Peake||1876||1959|
|1922 - 1925||Rev Alexander Frederick Falconer||1886||1968|
|1925 - 1928||Rev Abert Charles Edwards||1889||1977|
|1928 - 1932||Rev James Townsend||1887||1974|
|1930 - 1931||Rev Horace Leonard Watcham||1905|
|1932 - 1935||Rev William Edward Boyldew||1900||1957|
|1935 - 1936||Rev James Spencer Bullough||1885||1960|
|1936 - 1942||Rev Vernon Henderson Williams||1896||1957|
|1942 - 1943||Rev Henry Sydenham Hannaford||1897||1975|
|1943 - 1944||Rev Sidney George Davis||1884||1945|
|1945 - 1948||Rev Leslie George Bottle Rose||1912||2004|
|1948 - 1952||Rev Victor William Nelson Lines||1888||1975|
|1952 - 1964||Rev George Lysle Perry||1906||1985|
|1964 - 1977||Rev D W. Gibson|
|1977 - 1985||Rev D Nichols|
|1985 -||Rev W Hill|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Church website. Click here for more history.
2. Cable Clergy Index.