Paddington, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic
Year Built: 1918
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Architect: George Henry Male Addison
Traditional Owners: Turrbal people
Last Updated: 26/06/2023
History and Architecture:
A movement to establish a church in Paddington was so successful that a foundation stone was laid by Archbishop Dunne on 5 June 1898. The church, designed by W.A. Caldwell, was opened 11 December of the same year. It served as both church and school until 1907.
The current Church is the third in a series of Catholic churches designed by prominent Brisbane architect G.H.M. Addison. The church was constructed in 1918 during a period of intensive building by the Catholic Church under Archbishop Duhig.
In 1942, the church was badly damaged by a fire and required major restoration. Further renovations were required in 1983 when termites were discovered in the woodwork of the church. The infested woodwork was replaced at a cost of $210,000.
A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone of the Church of the Sacred Heart was blessed and laid by Most Rev James Duhig D.D. on 17th June 1917. Rev W. Lee P.P.".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|Father W. Lee
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.