Parramatta, NSW - St Patrick's Cathedral Catholic

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Patrick

Address: 1 Marist Place, Parramatta, New South Wales, 2150

Architect: Romaldo Gurgola

Traditional Owners: Dharawal people

Last Updated: 13/06/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (3 photos)


History and Architecture:

Established as a church in 1836, the site was modified several times and consecrated as a cathedral in 1986. Destroyed by a 1996 fire, the old St Patrick's Cathedral became a Blessed Sacrament Chapel and adjoining it is a large contemporary Cathedral, completed in 2003. A tower was built on the original St Patrick's Church which was consecrated in 1880 and blessed in 1883. A cast bronze bell was installed in the tower in 1904.

The Church was extensively rebuilt after a 1996 fire devastated the original church that was established in 1854. The building was designed by Romaldo Giurgola and the firm MGT Architects.

The Cathedral was consecrated on 29 November 2003 by Cardinal Edward Clancy.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1839 - 1842 Father Brennan
1847 - 1852 Father Bennan
1852 - 1857 Dean Coffey
1857 - 1864 Dean Sumner 1871
1864 - 1874 Dean Forde
1874 - 1889 Monsignor Rigney 1903
1889 - 1919 Monsignor O'Reilly 1931
1919 - 1931 Monsignor O'Gorman 1931
1931 - 1953 Monsignor Patrick O'Donnell 1954
1953 - 1964 Monsignor Joseph McGovern 1964
1964 - 1974 Monsignor Frank Kerr 1987
1974 - 1974 Father Joseph Weaver 2 months 1990
1974 - 1976 Father Don Peisley
1976 - 1991 Father Brian Larkey
1991 - 2000 Ffather John Boyle
2000 - 2004 Father Kevin Walsh
2004 - 2006 Father Peter Williams
2006 - 2012 Father Wim Hoekstra
2012 - 2014 Father John McSweeney
2014 - 2020 Father Robert Bossini
2020 - 2020 Father Peter Williams
2021 - Rev Robert Rieding

Organ:

The first organ in St Patrick’s was built in 1852 by J.C. Bishop, of London, for St Benedict’s Broadway. In 1981 St Patrick’s acquired yet another second-hand organ, this time from the Grand Masonic Lodge in Castlereagh Street, Sydney.  Built in 1923 by Holroyd & Edwards, of Sydney, the organ (of two manuals and 10 speaking stops) had been electrified in 1970 by Pitchford & Garside, who also undertook some tonal modifications. In 1996 Sydney organbuilder, Peter Jewkes, became aware of a redundant tubular-pneumatic Norman & Beard organ of 1898, located in St Saviour’s Anglican Church, Walton Place, London. The Organ has 3m., 39 sp. st., electric.
A full decription and photos can be seen here.

Source:

1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.
2. Wikipedia.
3. Church website
4. Deceased Clergy in Australia, 1788-2024.