Perth, WA - St George's Cathedral Anglican
Architect: Edmund Blacket
Traditional Owners: Whadjuk Nyoongar people
Last Updated: 06/08/2022
History and Architecture:
In 1841, on January first, Governor John Hutt laid the Foundation Stone of the first Church of St George. About 600 people were present when the church was opened on 22 January 1845. This building stood adjacent to the City of Perth library. The old church faced north and south and stretched from approximately the west end of the present Cathedral main entrance.
Work began in 1879 with the Foundation Stone being laid on 2 November 1880 by the Governor, Sir William Robinson.
The Cathedral is built in English Victorian Gothic Revival style. It is built of bricks made from clay from what is now called Queen’s Gardens and stone trimmings (quarried at Rottnest Island).
Built between 1879 and 1888 the cathedral was situated at the corner of St Georges Terrace and Cathedral Avenue at the heart of Perth's heritage precinct, which includes the nearby Treasury Buildings and the town hall. It replaced an earlier building immediately to the north-east of the present one.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1906 - 1911
|Dean Henry Guy Dampier Latham
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.