Port Adelaide, SA - Presbyterian (Former)

Denomination: Presbyterian

Address: Saint Vincent Street, Port Adelaide, South Australia, 5015

Architect: Unknown

Last Updated: 17/03/2023

Send your photos


History and Architecture:

Land for the first church was purchased on the corner of Leadenhall and Marryatt Streets, for the cost of £350. The foundation stone was laid on 21st August, 1856, by Sir Thomas Elder, and the church opened for public worship on 22nd February, 1857. Full cost of the building was £1,600, and seating accommodation provided for 300 people.

For another two and a half years services were conducted in the old building, but the need of a larger building becoming increasingly necessary, it was decided to build in a more central position. £1,700 secured the new site and the building was duly erected at a cost of £3,993. The foundation stone was laid by Mr. David Murray on 26th March, 1881.

 

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1861 - 1865 Rev Thomas Smillie
1867 - 1871 Rev James Henderson
1871 - 1878 Rev Peter McLaren
1879 - Rev John Hall Angus

Source:

1. Port Adelaide Presbyterian Church The History of the Church The first 115 years. SA 285.294 P839 1964