Port Albert, VIC - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1856
Traditional Owners: Gunaikurnai people
Last Updated: 22/09/2022
History and Architecture:
The first Church was built in 1856 and is currently the oldest Church in Gippsland.
The Gippsland Standard on 17th June 1885 reported that the new church at Port Albert is rapidly approaching completion, and Mr. Avery is to be complimented upon the swiftness with which he is carrying out the construction. His tender for painting the inside and outside of the building has also been accepted by the committee, and it is probable the first service will be held in the new Episcopalian Church some time in July.
On the 14th of January 1884 the church was burnt to the ground as a result of a bushfire. Less than a month later a tender of £262 was accepted for its re-construction with the official opening ceremony taking place on the 26th of July 1885.
The new church, designed by George Hastings, was erected in 1885 with John Casbolt supplying the brick foundations and the Avery brothers the main structure. A special service was held to mark the opening on July 26th 1885. The was opened on Sunday the 26th. The Bishop of Melbourne was been asked to visit South Gippsland on that occasion, but as other engagements will most probably prevent his attendance, one of the ministers of North Gippsland will be invited to take part in the opening services, for which special hymns and anthems are in course of rehearsal by the choir under the leadership of Mrs. Ferris our church organist.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1885 -||Rev Betts|
A new cabinet organ was placed in the church as a gift from the rail contractor, George Buckley.
1. Ferguson and Urie website.
2. St John's Anglican Church Port Albert compiled by Melva F James. LH 283.9456 JAM.