Prahran, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Matthew

Address: 157A High Street, Prahran, Victoria, 3181

Architect: Terry & Oakden

Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people

Last Updated: 25/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

St Matthew's was built to the designs of architects Terry & Oakden, the contractors were Purves and Rankine. Building commenced in July 1877 and the foundation stone was laid by Bishop James Moorehouse on Saturday the 1st of September 1877. It was formally opened by Bishop Moorehouse on the afternoon of Friday 28th June 1878.

A memorial stone was laid at St Mathews by the Bishop of Melbourne on 1 September 1877.

A fire in 1982 destroyed the majority of langthe centre section of the Nave. The burnt out centre section was converted to an open court yard. The front section, facing the street, was reconstructed with mezzanine floors and converted to three levels of office accommodation. The rear of the church, comprising the original chancel, remains as the congregation's portion of the church for worship.


These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1854 - Rev J. D Brennan
1885 - 1888 Rev F Webb
1875 - 1898 Rev Barnabas Shaw Walker 1833 188
1890 - 1895 Rev A. R Blackett
1897 - 1899 Rev G H. Smith
1900 - 1903 Rev Arthur Edwin Fleming Young 1873 1944
1903 - 1905 Rev Eustace Vernon Wade 1877 1967
1904 - 1909 Rev A. L Wade
1920 - Rev W. R Brown
1922 - 1925 Rev Thomas Henry Watts 1890 1948
1926 - 1932 Rev R. J. Brady
1895 - 1926 Rev W. T Storrs
1932 - 1939 Rev P W. Robinson 1889 1952
1947 - 1961 Rev J Townsend
1983 - 1985 Rev P B. Muston Asst
1992 - 1995 Rev A. G. Lane Asst
2015 - Rev Shane Rogerson


First Organ, see: Glen Iris. St James' Anglican Church. The second organ was built in 1867 & enlarged in 1883 by George Fincham for St John's Anglican Church, La Trobe Street Melbourne. Rebuilt in 1924 by Keith M. Lavers (new action and console, tonal additions). Reconstructed in 1927 & installed in 1934 by  Roberts Ltd in St Matthew's Church, Prahran. It had 3m, 37spst, 10c, Gt: 2/3.2.III.8. Sw: Ch: Ped: Removed in c1976 to storage.
For a complete history and photos click here.


1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.