Rochester, VIC - Uniting
Year Built: 1910
Previous Denomination: Methodist
Architect: A E Castles
Traditional Owners: Yorta Yorta people
Last Updated: 16/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The first Methodist service was held in 1871/72. These were conducted by the Rev S Bryant who was stationed at Elmore. Services were first held in the old school house on the east side of the Campaspe River. In 1873 the Rev A Uglow was appointed to the Rochester circuit (this circuit was originally attached to the Elmore circuit but it soon split into two circuits).
In 1873 a brick church and parsonage was erected near the main entrance of the Recreation Reserve. As the population increased so did the congregation. Eventually the little church on the east side of the river became too small. Services were held outdoors or in the Shire Hall until funds were raised as the town was now growing on the west side of the river the new church was built on the corner of Elizabeth Street and Moore Street.
The foundation stone was laid by W G Hart in October 1910. The architect was A E Castles and the building contractors were Reeve Bros. Opening services were conducted by the Rev Thomas Adamson on the 5 February 1911. A Sunday school building was moved to the site in 1911. It came from Corop and it was the old Corop Methodist Sunday School. A kindergarten was added later. A parsonage was constructed in Moore Street in 1912.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1910 -||Rev Francis Mason||M||1860||1921|
|1921 - 1924||Rev F. Flontje||M|
|1924 -||Rev E. Blake||M|
|1928 - 1931||Rev Horace M. Brady||M|
|1937 - 1940||Rev John Tyson||M|
|1943 - 1947||Rev Arthur G. Adamson||M|
|1947 - 1950||Rev Oliver Harris||M|
|1950 - 1955||Rev Cyril B. Stroud||M|
|1955 - 1960||Rev Leonard B. Eldridge||M||1981|
|1960 -||Rev Walter F. Goff||M|
|2015 -||Rev Gay Loftus||U|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
Methodist Ministers Australasian Index
Council Heritage review