Romsey, VIC - Uniting
Year Built: 1861
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 09/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The Lancefeld-Romsey Presbyterian Church was established in 1861. In 1863 the Romsey congregation applied for a grant of land for the purpose of building a church and this was granted on May 20th, 1864. The church was opened and dedicated in July 1865. The cost was 800.
The Presbytery of Melbourne compiled a communion roll at frst of seventeen names which soon increased to ffty one, most joining by certifcate from Scottish and Irish Churches Mr Peter Mitchell, whose descendants are part of the present congregation, was Secretary of the Building Committee and he inspired members with energy, faith and courage. The church building was built of local bluestone quarried on his property.
In 1873 a Bell-Tower with bell was erected on the top of the faade of the church (the bell is no longer in use). Major renovations were carried out in 1880 the old windows were replaced with stained glass designs.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2010 -||Rev Dr Avril Hannah Jones|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.