Rose Bay, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1913

Denomination: Presbyterian

Saint: Andrew

Address: Corner Dover Road and Carlisle Street, Rose Bay, New South Wales, 2029

Architect: Unknown

Last Updated: 18/06/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

The first Church was erected in 1834 and sold in 1910. The last service was held on 5 November 1911 and the building was demolished soon after.

A new block was purchased in Ian Street but was later discarded as un suitable and sold.

Plans for the new church were submitted and approved in November 1912 and the current Church was opened on 1 November 1913. It contains stained glass windows, 'barn-Gothic' rafters, the 'Hill' organ (1885), cedar pews, stone font, memorial plaques and communion plate (1839) which came from the original St Andrew's Scots Church built in 1835 and located in Sydney City behind St Andrew's Cathedral.

The Manse was erected in 1915 at a cost of 1,400.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1853 - Rev Dr J. McGarvie
1853 - 1868 Rev J. Dougall
1869 - 1873 Rev R. Lewers
1873 - 1884 Rev W. M. White
1885 - 1896 Rev A. Miller
1914 - 1937 Rev John Edwards
1937 - Rev William Kinmont Locum
1938 - Rev Thomas McDougall
1975 - 1978 Rev Murray Ramage
2018 - Rev Glen Pather

Organ:

The Organ was built by Hill & Son in 1884 (2/18 mechanical). The organ remains in original condition except for the addition of an electric blower. Pitchford & Garside restored the instrument in 1975.
For a full description and photos click here.

Source:

1. St Andrew's Scots Church Silver Jubille Celebrations Programme and Historical Record. 1913 - 1938.
2. Organ Music Society of Sydney with permission.